Saturday, January 20, 2007

The irony of chicken pox

I have just finished a year of maternity leave and returned to work only three weeks ago. It has been a struggle for sure as we juggle family life, business life and work life. In the past three weeks however, it seems like we have had one adventure after another to work through while balancing work and family.

Last week our babysitter got sick in the middle of the day and we had to run Liam out to Grandma's in the middle of the day. Shawn had to take two hours off of work and I didn't get home from picking him up until 8pm. This week, Liam's day at Grandma's was planned. However he came home and guess what...he had spots all over him. The chicken pox virus had snagged him.

The irony of it all is that he was supposed to get his innoculation from the chicken pox virus only 2 weeks from now at his 12 month birthday. Guess he won't now. The doctor was quite excited about seeing chicken pox because no one gets them anymore. She even had a student doctor come down and see them for himself because they are so rare.

Shawn and I have both taken time off work to care for him. The problem is that he is contagious, so NO one else can watch him until he is over the worst of it...which could take a week. I am glad that our employers are trying to be flexible through this.

1 Comments:

At 6:10 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi guys! Just checking out your blog... Although it may not seem like it at the moment, it's actually good that Liam got the chicken pox when he's so young, he'll have no memory of the misery.. I had them when I was like 18 months old and I don't remember anything about it at all.

Deborah

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home